Mark Busch Q&A: RV Tenant Forms

Want access to MHCO content?

For complete access to forms, conference presentations, community updates and MHCO columns, log in to your account or register.

Mark L. Busch

Question: We have a number of forms that we use for sending notices to our mobile home park tenants. Can we use the same forms for our RV tenants?

Editors Note: MHCO is very happy to welcome Mark Busch as a presenter at MHCO's next mandatory training seminary in Bend on July 17th

Answer: The short answer is "not always." More specifically, the laws covering RV tenants are sometimes different from those covering mobile home park tenants. As such, your park will need some separate forms specifically for RV tenants, although there are certain forms that work for both types of tenants.
First and foremost, use a rental agreement form designed for RV tenancies. As mentioned in a previous article, MHCO Form 80 is an excellent recreational vehicle space rental agreement.
Beyond the rental agreement, the basic forms every RV landlord should have are tenancy application and move-in forms (i.e., MHCO Form 01 - Rental Application, Form 03 - Criminal Check Authorization, Form 10 - Application Denial). With proper training, these forms are easily filled out and used during the RV tenant application process.

You will also need eviction notice forms. Here are the most common eviction forms:

1. 72-hour rent nonpayment forms - MHCO Form 82 -(these forms can be the same for mobile home and RV tenants).

2. 30-day or 60-day no cause notice forms (these are different from mobile home park forms).

3. 30-day for cause eviction forms - MHCO Form 83 - (these are different from mobile home park forms).

4. 24-hour eviction notice forms (these forms can be the same for mobile home and RV tenants).

Keep in mind that a form is only as good as the knowledge of the person filling it out. If a form is filled out incorrectly, a landlord risks losing an eviction case to a tenant. This means that not only will the tenant be allowed to stay on the RV space, but you would also likely be held responsible for the tenant's attorney fees and court costs. These fees and costs can run several thousand dollars or more. And you have to start over with evicting the RV tenant.

The best way to ensure a legally enforceable form is to have a knowledgeable landlord attorney spend 5 minutes reviewing it before you serve it on the RV tenant. It all goes back to the old adage that "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." If an attorney reviews your form before you use it, you immediately and significantly reduce the chances that you will lose an eviction case.

After you or your manager become comfortable filling out your forms, it is not as necessary to involve your attorney. Basic forms - if filled out correctly - typically present no problems later. However, it is always wise to have your attorney review eviction notices, particularly for-cause notices. For-cause notices are typically the ones most challenged by tenants and their attorneys.

A final caveat on RV forms is that you should never purchase forms online or elsewhere that are not specifically tailored for Oregon law. Such forms are typically missing provisions that are either required by Oregon law or are beneficial to landlords under Oregon law.

Mark L. Busch, P.C.
Attorney at Law
Cornell West, Suite 200
1500 NW Bethany Blvd.
Beaverton, Oregon 97006

Ph: 503-597-1309
Fax: 503-430-7593

© 2011-2022 Manufactured Housing Communities of Oregon (MHCO)

503-391-4496 | Contact MHCO

MHCO Information Security Policy (2018-2022)

Web design and development by Cosmonaut