Manufactured Structures Dealer's License Facts

Want access to MHCO content?

For complete access to forms, conference presentations, community updates and MHCO columns, log in to your account or register.

November 16, 2015
Oregon Department of Consumer and Business Services

Do I need a license to sell manufactured homes?

Yes. Individuals or entities that sell a manufactured home on behalf of another person have always required a license.


If I am a licensed real estate agent, can I sell manufactured homes?

In some cases, real estate brokers will need an MSD license. If a manufactured structure is sold separate from the sale of the land, this is considered a personal property transaction and requires an MSD license. The sale of a manufactured structure and land in a single transaction is a real estate transaction and requires a real estate license (but not an MSD license).

I sell Park Model structures. Do I need a DFCS dealer's license to sell these structures?

Yes. Except for person-to-person sales, any individual or entity engaged in selling manufactured homes is required to get a license. If you are a park owner and you sell less than 10 manufactured homes in a year, you may apply for a limited license. You can apply for either license online at Enterprise/

What is the purpose of a limited dealer's license?

The limited license allows a park owner to sell up to ten homes per year within the licensee's park without having to obtain a full dealer license. ORS 446.706

What are the bonding requirements for a manufactured structures dealer?

A bond or letter of credit is required before a license is issued. The bond must be submitted with your application on a Division of Finance and Corporate Securities surety bond form (Form 440-2966) .

How do I apply for a manufactured structures dealer license?

To apply for a regular or a limited license, submit a completed application form to the Division of Finance and Corporate Securities. Alternatively, you can take advantage of the department's online licensing system - License 2000/My License. This system provides licensees a robust set of tools to apply for, renew, update, or check license status via the web. More information can be found online at Enterprise/.

How do I make changes to my manufactured structures dealer license?

If dealers need to change the street address, mailing address, or the DBA or ABN on their license, a correction to the license must be submitted and a $30 fee applies. Please note, the legal name on the license cannot be changed, only the DBA or ABN.

As a dealership, if I want to open another sales center, do I need another license?

Dealer licenses are good for one location only. If a dealer has, or intends to open, a branch office at a different location under the same business name and license, the dealer must apply for a supplemental license.

Does a dealer need a trip permit to move a new home between dealer inventory lots?

No. New homes identified as dealer inventory may be moved between a dealer's inventory lots provided the dealer has obtained a supplemental dealer license for the lots in question. Please note that a trip permit is required whenever a used home is moved from one site or dealer location to another.

As a dealer, am I subject to taxation on a home I have installed as a spec home?

If you have a supplemental license for the home's location, the home is considered inventory.
See ORS 446.576

How should a dealer handle a spec home that is placed in a manufactured home park?

The statute makes provisions for a dealer to license a park as a dealer site from which the home can be sold. In essence, this means that the initial placement of a spec home on a lot in a park, before it has actually been sold, would be viewed as movement from a dealer lot to a dealer lot.

Can an Escrow Agent complete the sales transaction of a manufactured structure on behalf of my dealership?

Yes, provided the conditions specified in ORS 446.591 are met.

Who should I contact if I have any questions about dealer licensing?

Licensing Staff (503) 378-4140

Location Tags: